Saturday, September 18, 2010

Facebook Grafitti


This one was for my older sister, Crystal. She has always been a huge fan of hip hop, r&b and rap. I grew up listening to her taste in music, but as a whole, it didn't really appeal to me at the time. When she was in high school, her then-boyfriend introduced her to Limp Bizkit, Kid Rock and Korn. They combined hip hop/rap flavors with gritty rock music resulting in the genre of "nu metal." Nu metal got a lot of hate from metal elitists who are generally ironically narrow minded anyway. But I loved it, it really represented who I was as a child of the 90s, and a child of the cultural clusterfuck that is Brooklyn.


This one was for my younger sister, Candice. She really likes sharks.


This one was for my friend Ari who is as colorful and majestic as a peacock.


This was for a friend from college named Chris. He and I, I think, immediately bonded on being some of the few kids in SVA actually from NYC. We were both also rough around the edges and generally misunderstood. I drew this piece for him after a discussion on how many rappers and hip hop artists have stage names that begin with "Lil'" I said it would be funny to have a "Lil' Teapot." Rob and I ran with the idea and it is the short film and series we are currently working on.


This was for another kid I met in college, named Anthony. At first I didn't like him, because he never seemed to do his work, used big words excessively, and gave off this air like he was better than everyone else. Eventually, I came to know him better and even hung out with him a few times. I found out his front was just a cover and that inside, he was a pretty interesting fella.


This one was for Rob. It's a line from a Pink Floyd song and it came on while I was working in Fire Island. It brought a tear or two to my eyes and I realized just how much me and Rob were good for each other.


I really like Facebook Graffiti because it limits you to just the paint brush. Unlike Photoshop or Corel, I cannot use other tools in tandem to make the picture pretty, so I am forced to create form with just color. If I could only paint this loose in real life...

No comments:

Post a Comment